About this activity
The goal of this activity is to share the lives of several saints so that the youth might relate to what these people have done and maybe look to these individuals as role models.
For more information about this Saint, check out the websites below.
The answers to the requirements can be found here.
How to start
- Read about this saint. You can find the answers to these questions on:
- Feel free to use other resources.
- 1st - 5th Grades - Complete 4 requirements and 2 of the activities.
6th - 12th Grades - Complete 5 requirements and 3 of the activities.
- He took the name of a 4th century physician and Saint when he became a priest…Fr. Damien. What was his original name and why do we call him Saint Damien of Molokai?
- Before going to Hawaii, Saint Damien of Molokai worked as a missionary. What were the circumstances that allowed him to travel to Hawaii?
- When did he become a priest?
- Saint Damien of Molokai was given a memorial feast day by Pope John Paul II in 1995. When is that day celebrated?
- What is Saint Damien of Molokai most known for devoting his life to?
- King David Kalakaua bestowed what honor on Damien?
- Discuss with your family or counselor, some of the values that you admire most about Saint Damien of Molokai . What is he known for? How can you be more like him?
- Draw a picture showing some of his accomplishments. Share this picture with your family.
- Create a poster of hope and deliver it to a children hospital in your community.
- Visit with the sick or elderly. Spend time learning what they like. Possibly bring a kitten or puppy from the pound to visit with the elderly for a couple of hours.
Completion of the Activity
After completing the requirements, the participants will complete the Patch Order Form (Online) and submit it along with the applicable fee to the NCCS. The answers to the questions should be reviewed by an adult for correctness and do not need to be forwarded when ordering the patch.