- A volunteer layperson appointed by the diocesan chairman.
- Experience with Scouting units is recommended.
- Training in Scouting commissioner service is desirable.
It is recommended that the chairman for membership:
- Fully understand the chartered organization concept between the Boy Scouts of America and organizations chartered to operate Scouting units.
- Work with and through the Catholic committee to promote, extend, and strengthen Scouting in Catholic-chartered organizations.
- Assist the local council in attaining a more representative membership in Catholic organizations.
- Set goals and take actions necessary to achieve a net increase in units
- Recruit and organize means to visit each Catholic parish or potential youth serving organization that does not have Scouting, or the entire Scouting family, to discuss chartering a unit. Refer positive responses immediately to council representatives for follow-up.
- Initiate or support, when needed, a Bishop’s Dinner on Scouting and/or School Night for Scouting in parochial schools
- Establish and maintain frequent communications with newly organized units.
NOTE: New units may fail to survive their first year of operation for lack of attention. Assist in securing and mentoring leadership if needed.
- Promote the use of the Pope Paul VI National Unit Recognition to evaluate annually and maintain quality units operating in Catholic-chartered organizations.
- Use information contained in Current Diocesan Statistical Reports and other sources to:
- Take prompt action to re-establish dropped units
- Contact units whose charter renewal dates indicate they are about to expire to ensure they will re-charter on time
- Maintain records to show the extent of Catholic participation in Scouting and potential chartered organizations within the area of committee responsibility
- Be familiar with and use NCCS membership committee materials and programs
Term of Office:
Recommended term of office is two years and should be renewable.
- Scouting in Your Parish No. 16-211
- A Bishop’s Dinner on Scouting, No. 16-134
- Current Diocesan Statistical Report
- VIDEO: Scouting in the Catholic Church, No. 16-441
- Pope Paul VI National Unit Recognition, No. 16-169
- Knights of Columbus pamphlet, A Strong Link, No. 3-188
- Organizing New Units in Catholic Parishes, No. 16-159
- Vocation Promotion Through Scouting Youth Ministry, No. 16-149
- Organizing a Cub Pack, No. 3823
- New Troop Organizer Kit, 18-042