- A volunteer layperson appointed by the diocesan chairman.
- This person should have experience with religious formation and obtain training in counseling/facilitating religious emblems programs with youth.
- Scouting experience is desirable.
It is recommended that the chairman for religious emblems:
- Develop and maintain a viable religious emblems program that provides every Catholic youth in Scouting a religious educational experience in support of the total Christian formation program of the church
- Promote the spiritual phase of Scouting to ensure that every youth in the program has the opportunity to become more aware of God’s presence in his/her daily life.
- Initiate a program to recruit, train, and certify religious emblems counselors:
- Contact the chartered organization representative of each Catholic-chartered unit and request that a counselor be appointed to serve each unit
- Conduct training for these counselors that will lead to certification as outlined in the Ad Altare Dei Counselors’ Guide, No. 33072 or Light is Life Counselors’ Guide, No. 16-106
- Work in collaboration with the diocesan Scout chaplain to:
- Schedule boards of review to examine candidates who have completed requirements for the Ad Altare Dei, Light is Life, and Pope Pius XII programs.
- Obtain religious emblems needed for presentation
- Arrange appropriate liturgical ceremonies for the presentation of emblems in accordance with the customs of the diocese
- Promote the religious emblems programs at roundtables, training sessions, and Scout camps. Many dioceses have produced religious emblems displays in cooperation with other religious groups.
- Use the Religious Emblems Programs folder, No. 5-206C, in all new unit kits
Term of Office:
Recommended term of office is two years, concurrent with the chairman, and should be renewable.
- Scouting in Your Parish No. 16-211
- A Bishop’s Dinner on Scouting, No. 16-134
- Current Diocesan Statistical Report
- VIDEO: Scouting in the Catholic Church, No. 16-441
- Pope Paul VI National Unit Recognition, No. 16-169
- Knights of Columbus pamphlet, A Strong Link, No. 3-188