About this activity
The goal of this activity is to share the lives of several saints so that the youth might relate to what these people have done and maybe look to these individuals as role models.
For more information about this Saint, check out the websites below.
The answers to the requirements can be found here.
How to start
- Read about this saint. You can find the answers to these questions on:
- Feel free to use other resources.
- 1st - 5th Grades - Complete 4 requirements and 2 of the activities.
6th - 12th Grades - Complete 5 requirements and 3 of the activities.
Adults - See flyer
- When, and near which modern-day city was Juan Diego born?
- When is Juan Diego's Feast Day?
- One day on his way to daily Mass, Juan Diego saw and heard some unusual things. Describe them. What did the lady tell Juan Diego to ask the bishop?
- Describe the different miraculous events that eventually helped the bishop to believe Juan Diego's message.
- When was Juan Diego canonized (declared a saint), and by which pope?
- Imitate Juan Diego by making a shrine for Our Lady. Draw a picture of her image that appeared on Juan Diego's cloak. Hang the picture on the wall or place it in a frame on a table.
- Make "Castilian roses" for your shrine out of pink tissue paper (you can find easy directions on line) and place them in a vase near Mary's picture.
- Together with your family, pray the rosary by the shrine you have made.
- Tell a friend or relative, who does not know about Our Lady of Guadalupe, the story of her appearance to Juan Diego and show them the shrine you made for her.
Completion of the Activity
After completing the requirements, the participants will complete the Patch Order Form (Online) and submit it along with the applicable fee to the NCCS. The answers to the questions should be reviewed by an adult for correctness and do not need to be forwarded when ordering the patch.