About this activity
The goal of this activity is to share the lives of several saints so that the youth might relate to what these people have done and maybe look to these individuals as role models.
For more information about this Saint, check out the websites below.
The answers to the requirements can be found here.
How to start
- Read about this saint. You can find the answers to these questions on:
- Feel free to use other resources.
- 1st - 5th Grades - Complete 4 requirements and 2 of the activities.
6th - 12th Grades - Complete 5 requirements and 3 of the activities.
- Where and when was he born?
- After he was ordained, what was the work he did and where?
- Why did he have so much difficulty walking?
- Where did he do the majority of his ministry and how many missions did he found?
- What present day organization is named after him? What is their role?
- Discuss with your family or counselor some of the values that you admire most about Blessed Junípero Serra. What is he known for? How can you be more like him?
- Draw a picture showing some of his accomplishments. Share this picture with your family.
- Blessed Junípero Serra once traveled 900 miles before starting his first mission. Plan and participate in a fundraising event such as a 5 – 10K walk to benefit mission work in your community.
- Blessed Junípero Serra sought the famous “Regulation” protecting the Indians and the missions. Do you see any injustices in the world still? Write a “Bill of Rights” that you feel will protect those individuals. Discuss with your family or counselor some of the reasons why it is important.
Completion of the Activity
After completing the requirements, the participants will complete the Patch Order Form (Online) and submit it along with the applicable fee to the NCCS. The answers to the questions should be reviewed by an adult for correctness and do not need to be forwarded when ordering the patch.