About this activity
The Spiritual Works of Mercy have long been a part of the Christian tradition, appearing in the works of theologians and spiritual writers throughout history. Just as Jesus attended to the spiritual well-being of those he ministered to, these Spiritual Works of Mercy guide us to "help our neighbor in their spiritual needs" (USCCB).
A beautiful 3 inch patch is available for the activity.
The answers to the requirements can be found here.
Spiritual Works of Mercy Requirements
How to start
Read about the Spiritual Works of Mercy. You may find the answers to these questions on www.Catholic.org.
- Feel free to use other resources.
- 1st - 5th Grades - Complete requirements #1 thru 5.
6th - 12th Grades - Complete all requirements
Adults-Mentor one or more youth to earn the Eucharistic Adoration Activity Patch
- Match the Spiritual Works of Mercy with their corresponding scripture:
- To admonish the sinner
- To instruct the ignorant
- To counsel the doubtful
- To comfort the sorrowful To bear wrongs patiently
- To forgive all injuries
- To pray for the living and the dead
- ____”…Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you." Lk. 6:27-28
- ____”Father, I desire that they, too, may be with me where I am..." Jn. 17:24
- ____ "Go into the whole world and proclaim the good news to all creation." Mk. 16:1
- ____”Come to me, all you grown weary and burdened, and I will refresh you." Mt. 11:28
- ____”Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you...Let not your hearts be troubled..." Jn. 14:27
- ____”…there will be more joy in Heaven at the repentance of one sinner than at ninetynine of the righteous who had no need of repentance." Lk. 15:7
- ____ "And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." Mt. 6:1
- Discuss with your parents which of the Spiritual Works of Mercy is the easiest and which is the most difficult. After your discussion list your answer and why?
1. Easiest and why:
2. Most difficult and why:
- With help, make and save a list of at least five individuals, Religious Orders or groups in your parish, diocese, or other parts of the world, that practice the Spiritual works of mercy.
- Interview one of the people you listed about their ministry and how they practice the Spiritual Works of Mercy.
- In collaboration with your parents or counselor, do a Holy Hour praying for those in need, especially widows, those doubting the faith, the lonely, the hurt, the sick, or the deceased.
- With help, present and explain the Spiritual Works of Mercy to your troop. Discuss how your troop could do a Spiritual Work of Mercy.
- With help, carry out one of the following:
a) Visit residents in a Nursing Home and pray with them.
b) With your family, pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet at least once a week for a month.
- For one week, perform Spiritual Works of Mercy and note the circumstances in which you did it.
Completion of the Activity
The answers to the questions should be reviewed by an adult for correctness. After completing the requirements, the participants will order the patch (Online).