About this activity
The purpose is to help the youths understand more about Scouting and Catholicism in other countries and how they may differ from Scouting and Catholicism in the United States.
The medallion and patch insignia of The International Catholic Conference of Scouting (ICCS) is offered to all youth in grades 6-8 in recognition of demonstrated awareness of Scouting in the Catholic Church throughout the world.
This is a temporary activity patch that is worn on the right pocket of the Scout uniform.
How to start
- Answer the requirements below.
- Have a parent or adult leader review the answers for correctness.
- After completing the requirements, a parent or Scout Leader will order the medallion/patch (Online).
A. Look up the definition of the word "Catholic" in the dictionary and write it out.
B. Plus, do any two (2) or more of the following:
- Correspond with a Catholic Scout in another country by e-mail or US mail.
- Help another youth earn his/her International Awareness Patch.
- Earn the "Citizenship in the World" Merit Badge.
- Earn the religious emblems proper to your rank or age.
- Learn about the life of the Patron Saint of Scouts and Girl Guides around the world, and discuss him with your counselor.
- Talk to someone who has experienced Catholicism in another country about what it is like to live as a Catholic in that country.
- View a video or movie on Scouting in another country (e.g., World Jamboree, World Youth Day).
- Learn how to say "Be Prepared" and how to do the Sign of the Cross in one foreign language.
- Visit the web sites of the World Organization of the Scouting Movement (WOSM) at www.scout.org and the International Catholic Conference for Scouting . (ICCS) at www.cics.org. Determine how many countries have a Scouting Program? Determine how many countries are members of ICCS?
Ordering of Recognition:
The answers to the questions should be reviewed by an adult for correctness. After completing the requirements, the participants will complete the (Online).